A (Teenage) Year Abroad

This post is part of a series called Q&A Tuesday: French Visas. Our resident expert is Laurence Raybois from Americans Moving to France and Rural France Resources. We want to hear from you! Send me your questions or put them in the comments below. We’ll try to get your question answered in an upcoming post.

This month's question:

We have a 15 year old daughter who is interested in spending the academic year with her aunt (my sister) and uncle in France. What sort of visa do I need to get for her?


I recommend that you seek a Visitor’s visa for her.  She should have no trouble obtaining it if you can prove that her financial and practical needs will be covered once there, and in order to do that, you will need to get an affidavit to that effect from your family in France.  You will need to show that she will also have access to additional funds from you, should the need arise.

In regards to attending school, French law is very clear that children residing in France, even temporarily, are entitled to attending the local public school, even though foreign parents are occasionally discouraged by school officials from enrolling their children.  Registration is done through City Hall, and not through the school itself.

Laurence Raybois Consulting © 2015